blackberry and apple pie
Basic ingredients for blackberry and apple pie
- 1 cup butter, plus 1/3 cup of raw sugar plus extra for greasing
- 5 Granny Smith apple cores, peeled, and each cut into 8 pieces
- 6 ounces blackberries
- 1 large organic or free-range egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sweet Shortcrust Pastry: 3 1/2 cups organic, all-purpose flour plus 1 cup for dusting,
- 2 tablespoons good quality cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large, free-range eggs or organic eggs, beat Splash milk All-purpose flour, for dusting
How to make blackberry and apple pie
- Make your pastry dough first. Now Wrap it in plastic wrap, and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Next, melt butter and sugar in a saucepan. Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and apples. Now Cover the saucepan and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the blackberries and stir. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes. The blackberries will easily mash if you don’t stir them well. Remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Dust your work surface in flour. After this, Divide the pastry into two pieces and roll one of them out using a floured rolling board until it is just under 1/2 inch thick. Butter the 10-inch pie plate and then line it with the pastry.
- Trim any excess pastry edges with a sharp knife. The edge of the pastry should be brushed with beaten eggs. The second piece of pastry should be rolled out in the same way as the first. Lay it on top of the pie. As before, trim the edges and crimp them with your fingers.
- The top of your pie should be brushed with the remaining beaten egg. Now Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon generously over the top and then make a few slashes. After this, The pie should be placed on a baking sheet and baked in the oven for 55-60 minutes until it is golden brown. Serve the pie with vanilla ice cream.
- Sweet Shortcrust Pastry: After washing your hands, take a towel and rub your thumbs on your fingertips to incorporate the butter cubes into the flour.
- Mix the egg and milk into the mixture. Once the dough is combined, you can gently fold it until il it becomes a ball. Lightly flour it.
- Do not work the pastry too hard at this stage. It will become elastic, chewy, and not crumbly.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. It should be rolled into a round.
- Now Flour it lightly and wrap it in plastic wrap. Enjoy this blackberry and apple pie recipe.