lamb and apricot tagine
Basic ingredients for lamb and apricot tagine
- One tbsp olive oil
- one tbsp butter
- Two tbsp blanched almond slivers
- Two red onions,
- diced three cloves of garlic,
- minced two tbsp ginger paste
- pinch of saffron threads
- Two cinnamon sticks
- Two tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- One lb lamb cubed shoulder or leg 8 dates seeded
- Eight dried apricots
- One tbsp orange zest
- Two tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Ras el Hanout
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
How to make lamb and apricot tagine
- First of all, In a large casserole or baking dish, heat the butter and oil. Add the almonds to the butter and oil, stirring until they are golden. Stir in the garlic and diced onions.
- Cook on low heat until golden. Stir in the ginger paste and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the lamb cubes and mix well with the spices and onion. Sautee for 4 minutes. After this, add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer the meat for at least 1 hour until it is tender. Mix in the dates, orange zest, and apricots. Cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the honey and ras el-hanout, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. The sauce should be thick and syrupy. Now Allow it to simmer for five minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Serve with couscous or bread of your choice.