ginger sponge cake mary berry
A sponge cake is something that every cook must master. You can then use the sponge as a canvas to create any flavors that you desire. This classic combination of ginger and chocolate works well.
Basic ingredients for ginger sponge cake mary berry
- 175g butter at room temperature plus extra for greasing
- 175g plain bread flour
- 175g baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk to loosen
- 200g of plain chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- 300ml triple cream
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 300ml double crème
- 2 tbsp honey
for the GINGER CREAM FILMING
- 300ml double whip
- 2 tbsp icing Sugar
- 3cm fresh root ginger
How to make ginger sponge cake mary berry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.After this, Lightly butter-flour the 20cm cake pan. Now Blend the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one by one, then add the vanilla extract.
- After this, Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Use a spatula to gently fold in the ingredients until well combined. To make a batter that is drop-like, add a little milk if needed.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and then use a spatula to smoothen it. To eliminate air pockets and create a level mixture, place the tin on a work surface. After this, Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Now Test the cake by inserting a knife or skewer into its middle. It should come out clean.
- The icing should be made while the cake bakes. It needs to be set for at least 30 minutes before it can be used. It should not be too runny or it will spill off the sides and make it look messy.
- Now Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Stir the cream and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Heat on medium heat until just boiling. Stir the cream and butter into the bowl immediately. Continue to stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture becomes thick and glossy. Set aside.
- After this, Make the filling by whipping the cream and icing sugar until it reaches soft peaks. Then, add the ginger.
- When the sponge has cooled, slice it horizontally. Spread the ginger cream on one half of the sponge, then add the second half to the top. Press down gently to push the cream towards the edges.
- Spread the icing on the cake using a spatula. Now Allow setting for at least thirty minutes before serving.