foie gras terrine recipe Gordon Ramsay
Basic Ingredients for foie gras terrine recipe Gordon Ramsay
- Three lbs foie gras (about 2 duck livers)
- Two tbsp kosher salt A generous pinch of white pepper
- Two oz sweet dessert wine (Sauternes suggested) Equipment Special 4″ x 12 2/3″ terrine mold
How do you make foie gras terrine recipe Gordon Ramsay
- Split livers in half. They will naturally split at the vein. You can begin to separate the livers by removing large chunks of fat and veins. You can smash the livers using the palm of your hands.
- Season & Marinate In a shallow baking dish, place the livers. Place the livers in a shallow baking dish. Push down to create a flat layer. Sprinkle with kosher salt, white pepper, and generously.
- Add wine to the top Place foil on a piece of plastic wrap and press down gently. Allow resting at room temperature for 3-4 hours Emulsify (Blend) Ingredients Pre-heat oven to 400o. Have metal or a glass bowl with ice water in it.
- Set aside Place foil in a baking dish and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep your hands close by. Take out of the oven and stir. You will see some of the fat begin to separate. Continue heating it slowly until it reaches 120o-130oF (just above body temperature). You can test heat with your pinkie finger, which is the most sensitive.
- It should be warm, but not hot. Take out the baking pan and immediately transfer it to the bowl. Place the bowl over the ice bath. Stir until the fat is emulsified and completely cooled. This should take approximately 10 minutes Fill Terrine & Chill Use plastic wrap to line a 4″x12 2/3″ terrine mold. Cooled foie gras can be added to the terrine. To eliminate air bubbles, lightly bang the terrine against the counter. Cover the terrine with plastic, but do not place it on top of foie gras. Before serving, let cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Serve by taking the plastic wrap liner off of the terrine and lifting it from the pan. Serve with toast or crusty bread, jams, or fruit compotes. Important: Foie gras is rich in fat and will melt if it is left at room temperature for too long.