creme au beurre
French buttercream (creme au beurre), is similar to pastry creams or creme patisserie. Both use egg yolks and sugar to create the thick pudding base. However, pastry cream is made from milk while French buttercream is made using butter. This butter makes the pudding richer and denser. Find our top recipes
Basic ingredients for creme au beurre
- Five egg yolks
- 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- Two tablespoons thick sauce with any flavor (caramel sauce or dulce de leche etc. OR two teaspoons extract any flavor (vanilla or coffee, almond, etc.).
How to make creme au beurre
- Mix the egg yolks with the mixer. Mix the egg yolks in a mixer for about 1-2 minutes, then stop. Add the sugar and water to a saucepan. Heat the mixture on medium-high heat.
- Mix the mixture occasionally while stirring. Heat the mixture to 225F. Slowly drizzle the sugar syrup into your egg yolks, turning the mixer back to a low setting.
- Slowly increase the speed until all of the syrup has been incorporated. The speed will go up to high for about 4 to 5 min. Keep beating until the egg yolk mixture becomes thick and pale yellow.
- This will take about 5 to 6 more minutes. The butter should be added to the filling approximately 1 tablespoon at a. Mix on high for 2-3 minutes. Add the flavoring.
- The filling should be placed in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes if it appears that the filling has separated. Use a whisk to quickly mix the filling. It will return to its original form. Fill a tart with the filling or sandwich it between layers of a cake. See more recipes