chocolate torte cake
Basic Ingredients for chocolate torte cake
- 2 large eggs, separate and at room temperature
- 1 large whole egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp 75 g sugar
- 2/3 cup (80g) ground almonds
- 6 Tbsp (48g) of cake and pastry flour, sifted Ganache Layer & Glaze
- 1 cup (250ml) whipping cream
- 8 oz (225g) bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 oz (55 g) coating chocolate OR chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) vegetable oils Coffee Buttercream
- 2 eggs whites at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp + 1/2 cup (125g) sugar
- One cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- One Tbsp espresso extract or one Tbsp very strong brewed espresso cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract Coffee Syrup
- 1/2 cup of hot coffee
- 3 Tbsp (36g) sugar
- 1 1/2 oz (42 g) coating chocolate, melted
- 6 coffee beans with chocolate coating
How do you make chocolate torte cake
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C). Line a sheet pan measuring 11×17 inches with parchment paper.
- Mix the egg yolks, the whole egg, and 1/4 cup sugar until the mixture is smooth and pale. When the beaters are lifted, they should be thick and elastic. Mix the ground almonds with the flour in a separate bowl.
- Whip the 2 egg whites in a bowl until foamy. Next, add 2 Tbsp sugar to the bowl. Continue whipping the whites until they reach a soft peak when you lift the beaters. Fold in the almond mixture. This should be spread evenly on the prepared sheet pan. The batter will not make a thin layer. Allow the cake to bake for 8 minutes or until it is golden brown. Let cool. After cooling, let the cake dry slightly.
- To make the ganache, heat cream to just simmer. Then pour the cream over 8 ounces of chopped chocolate. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then stir gently with a spatula. Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted. Allow cooling to room temp.
- After this, Make the buttercream by placing the egg whites into a bowl. Add two Tbsp sugar to the bowl. Whip the mixture until it becomes foamy. The remaining half cup sugar and two Tbsp water should be brought to a boil. Now Boil the mixture until it reaches 240 F (115 C). The mixer should be running at medium speed. Add the hot sugar to the whipped cream by carefully pouring it down the bowl. This helps to prevent any spillage. Next, increase the speed to whip the whites until they are at room temperature. After the mixer is beating, slowly add the butter one at a time. If the buttercream seems a little stiff or lumpy, do not worry. Just keep adding butter and beating until it comes together. You don’t have to overbeat. Use the coffee extract (or espresso), and the vanilla at room temperature.
- Mix the sugar and coffee until you get the coffee syrup.
- To assemble the cake, take the sheet off and cut it into three rectangles measuring approximately 6-x-11 inches. Let the chocolate coating set on the bottom layer of each layer. Place the chocolate side down on a platter or flat board. Spread half of the buttercream on top, and brush the layer with coffee syrup. This layer should be topped with a second layer of cake. Spread the last cake layer on top of the ganache.
- To make the ganache glaze: Heat the remaining ganache and add the vegetable oil and coating chocolate. Stir until smooth. Spread the glaze over the cake, but not the sides. Chill for 2 hours.
- Cut the sides to expose clean layers. Then, slice into six rectangles using a hot, dry knife. You can pipe some coffee buttercream onto each one and add a coffee bean to the top.