chiffon sponge cake recipe
Chiffon sponge Cake can be described as a basic, soft, and fluffy plain cake. It’s flavored with Vanilla bean seeds and a little bit of Lemon Zest. This tall cake can be served plain or glazed with your favorite fillings (whipped cream, fresh fruit, pastry cream, and chocolate ganache). The sponge is different from Chiffon Cake because Chiffon Cake contains vegetable oil which makes it super soft and has a little leavening agent.
Basic Ingredients for chiffon sponge cake recipe
- 6 large egg yolks, room temperature
- Lemon Zest 1 teaspoon
- 1 Vanilla Bean Seeds (or 1 tablespoon Vanilla Paste or Extract)
- 200g (1 cup) Caster Sugar
- 120ml (1/4 cup) water
- 215g (1+ 3/4 cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 25g (2 tablespoons). Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (3-4 g) Baking powder
- Salt – Take a pinch
- 120ml (1/4 cup) Sunflower Seed Oil or flavorless Vegetable Oil
- 6 large egg whites (approximately 240g – 8,5oz), room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 100g (11/2 cup) Caster Sugar
How do you make chiffon sponge cake recipe
- Mix Egg Yolks with Lemon Zest, Vanilla, and Sugar in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt to make it creamy. Add water and mix. Mix in the sifted Flour and Cornstarch.
- Add the following ingredients to your bowl: Now Mix Vegetable Oil with the water until well combined. Set aside.
- Mix the Egg Whites at room temp with a Cream of Tartar in a large bowl. Then use an electric hand mixer to make white foamy.
- After this, Mix in the Sugar one at a time, and continue to mix at high speed until you get stiff peaks.
- Gently combine 1/3 of the Egg Whites mix in Yolks mixture.
- Next, add two-thirds of the Yolks mixture to the Whites mix. Fold gently with a spatula until all is well combined. Put the batter in a tube pan that is 10″x25cm with a removable bottom.
- The batter should be poured into a 10-inch-25cm tube pan with removable bottom. Bake at 170°C – 340°F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean.
- Turn the upside-down cake completely cool (approximately 2-3 hours). Use a knife to run around the pan’s sides and center tube. Invert the cake on a plate. Use a knife to run around the pan’s bottom.
- Twist it slightly and then remove the middle tube. Sprinkle some Vanilla Powdered sugar (optional), and cut it with a serrated blade. Serve with Whipped Cream (optional) and fresh strawberries. Wrap in plastic wrap and let cool at room temperature for approximately 2 to 3 days.