cheese onion sandwich filler recipe
Basic ingredients for cheese onion sandwich filler recipe
- Three tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Two large yellow or white onions, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 slices of standard white sandwich bread (use Japanese bread if possible)
- 3 to 4-tablespoons homemade mayonnaise or store-bought Mayonnaise
- 3 to 4 ounces of top-quality sharp cheddar cheese, grated
How to make cheese onion sandwich filler recipe
- Two large white onions should be peeled and sliced finely. Heat 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the onions. Season the onions with salt. Stir the butter into the onion mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon to distribute it evenly and break up any clumps.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the onions on medium heat for 25-30 minutes. This process cannot be rushed with high heat. Let the onions caramelize on the heat for a few minutes before letting them cool down. Now Spread mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice using a butter knife.
- Gabrielle Hamilton, a brilliant diner chef, uses mayonnaise to spread her grilled cheese sandwiches. Because it doesn’t brown as fast as butter, the sandwich requires less time in the pan. It emerges with a perfectly golden crust. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat until it foams and stops.
- Place the bread mayonnaise-side down in the hot skillet. Add a layer of grated sharp cheddar cheese to the top. Sprinkle some onions on top of the cheese. Add another slice of bread mayonnaise-side up to top it all. Flip the sandwich over with a spatula after 2 to 4 minutes.
- Allow the sandwiches to cook for 3 minutes more, and then take them off the heat. Grilled cheese and caramelized onions. This is a great way to enjoy the cheese on the diagonal. We are cooking Bourdain’s entire repertoire. Subscribe and like. Eat well. We will see you soon.