buche noel mary berry
Christmas Meringue Roll (or Tronchetto di Natale Innevato) is a special version of the traditional Buche de Noel. It is made with meringue with Whipped Cream, Cranberry, or Red Currant. It is quick and easy to prepare.
It is best to refrigerate during the Christmas season. The meringue sweetness and slightly bitter cranberries balance it.
Basic Ingredients for buche noel
- 4 small egg whites (or 3 larger)
- 135g, room temperature
- 180g (3/4 cup). Caster Sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- One teaspoon Vanilla Paste
- 300 ml Whipping cream
- One and a half teaspoons (10 g), Powdered Sugar
- 140g (5 oz.) Cranberry Compote (or Red Currant Sugar-Frost) Some powdered sugar Fresh Cranberry Sugar-Frost or Red Currant Sugar Frost for decoration
- HOW TO MAKE SUGARFROST FRUITS:Your fruit should be washed and dried thoroughly.
- Dip the fruit in the egg white, then remove it.
- Use Caster Sugar to coat.
- Allow drying on baking parchment for a few hours.
How to make buche noel
- Prepare a pan measuring 26×35 cm or 10×14 inches. Line it with parchment paper.
- After this, Mix Egg whites and Cream of Tartar in a large bowl until you get white foam.
- Add Caster Sugar one at a time and continue mixing until you reach stiff peaks.
- Mix in Vanilla Paste until well combined.
- Place the meringue evenly in the prepared pan.
- For 25 minutes, bake in a preheated oven at 160°C – 320°F
- In the meantime, dust some Powdered Sugar on a piece of parchment paper.
- Allow the meringue to cool in the pan for five minutes.
- Place the meringue on the parchment paper. Once the parchment paper is dry, remove the lined paper. Let cool completely for 15 minutes.
- In a large, chilled bowl, pour Whipping Cream. Whip until you get medium-stiff peaks.
- Mix in the powdered sugar. Now add the whipped cream to the top of the meringue.
- Place the Cranberry Compote in a single layer.
- Gently roll out the meringue in a log.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours. Or, freeze for approximately 15 minutes.
- If necessary, trim the edges and dust with powdered sugar.
- Decorate with rosemary or sugar-frosted fruits. Keep in the refrigerator for approximately 1 to 2 days.