braised red cabbage
Braised red cabbage can be sweetened with sour cream and made tender and buttery. This side dish is great to have alongside roasted chicken or fish. the braised red cabbage was my first experience. I have been making it ever since. This recipe will appeal to all members of your family, as it includes cabbage, onions, apples, sweet honey, and sour vinegar. Braised red cabbage can also be used for St. Patrick’s Day, or as a weekend meal preparation.
Basic ingredients for braised red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon pastured butter
- 1 small onion, thinly chopped
- 2 green apples, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- One small head of red cabbage
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup goat cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
How to make braised red cabbage
- Butter should be melted in a cast-iron skillet or large saute pan. Sauté onions with a pinch of salt for 6-8 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and apples to the pan.
- Add the garlic and salt to taste. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Next, add the red cabbage and balsamic vinegar along with honey. Finally, add splash water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir the mixture gently. Let the cabbage simmer gently on the stovetop for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add more water if the pan appears dry. The water will evaporate as your cabbage cooks.
- Transfer the cabbage to a plate and garnish with goat cheese and freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy! You can make this vegan by substituting butter for coconut oil and adding some sugar to the honey.